Penhaligon’s is a British perfumery established in 1870 by William Penhaligon. Originating as a barbershop, Penhaligon’s offered its first fragrance in 1872, Hammam Bouquet. The fragrance was inspired by the neighboring Turkish Bath and its sulfurous steam. The company’s best-selling fragrance, 1902’s Blenheim Bouquet, created at the request of the Duke of Marlborough at Blenheim Palace, broke with the prevailing floral trends of its day to enchant with zesty citrus, spices and woods.
Scents were issued regularly from the original shop on Jermyn Street, until it was destroyed in The Blitz of 1941. The shop disappeared, but the fragrances of the company endured, and in 1956, Penhaligon’s was granted a Royal Warrant by the Duke of Edinburgh for the manufacturing of toiletries.
Interest in the company was renewed with the opening of a new Penahligon’s flagship store in Covent Gardens, in 1975. The flagship store represented a new direction for the company as well, with the old formulas composed by William Penahligon being resurrected, and new floral scents designed to appeal to a modern female customer. Chief among these was 1978’s Bluebell, which remains a best-seller for the company today.